Collecting Trip table

Curious if any users have experience with the Collecting Trip table, and specifically the fields Vessel and Cruise. I have a large batch of incoming records that I need to migrate, but unfortunately, these fields are not mappable through the Workbench. I am toying with the idea of using fields within the CE table instead (either available text fields or the CE Remarks field). Anyone have experience with the CT table/fields or have recommendations for workarounds and efficient data migration? Using Specify6.

@freyma The collecting trip table is available in the Workbench in Specify 7. I use the collecting trip table for fish specimens collected on cruises and am able to import vessel, cruise and haul information into this table just fine. Not sure why you are not seeing it

Hi Andy, thank you for responding and sharing the screen shots of how this would work in Specify 7. Unfortunately, I am still in Specify 6 and my understanding is that Vessel and Cruise are not mappable. A few years ago, when I migrated my database in Sp6, these fields were mappable (at least that is my recollection); but for some reason, neither Vessel nor Cruise now appear in the workbench. If this is the case, then perhaps I need to find a workaround OR migrate to Sp7.

@freyma Melissa, I can see collecting trip in the workbench:

It may be that the field are either hidden in the schema or need to be added to the workbench XML files in order to be visible. There are two files associated with the workbench in your config directory called specify_wokbench_datamodel.xml and specify_workbench_upload_def.xml that would need to be modified to include those fields. Here is what that table looks like in my files:

Hi Andy, the default specify_workbench_datamodel.xml is the same that you show, but neither of the codes include vessel or cruise. Is there a reason why the default file doesn’t include these fields?

Prior to reaching out to this forum, I tried to add both fields to the workbench xml files, but have not been able to get either field to show up in the workbench. Perhaps I have the code wrong – here is what I have tried:

(see below post)

The other issue might be that the code is correct but that I haven’t imported the schema properly.

Thank you!
Melissa

Looks right. not sure why it is not showing up. Will have to run it by the other Specify folks to see if anyone has any ideas.

Probably because they are not very frequently used

Are you sure that text1 and text2 are vessel and cruise in your schema?

No, both are their own field: ‘Cruise’ and ‘Vessel’, as per the Schema Configuration (and a published schema from 2020). I use Text 1 for ‘Haul/Tow’.