Information on images

Images shown in the web portal lack any information as thumbnails, and only have their original file names when clicked upon. To get information about what species and specimen they represent, you need to click on “Associated Specimens” on the expanded image. However even this tag is not visible if you work on a laptop screen as shown in the image below. We need a better way of accessing information about images shown, ideally including identification and catalog number in both thumbnail and expended views. Dynamic resizing of the expanded image so that buttons can be seen on a laptop screen would also be great.

1 Like

Hi @paulay,

Thank you for your report!

Images shown in the web portal lack any information as thumbnails, and only have their original file names when clicked upon. To get information about what species and specimen they represent, you need to click on “Associated Specimens” on the expanded image.

We need a better way of accessing information about images shown, ideally including identification and catalog number in both thumbnail and expended views.

I have created a feature request on the development page for the Specify Web Portal. I think that sounds like a great idea!

However even this tag is not visible if you work on a laptop screen as shown in the image below.

If you zoom out (press Ctrl + -) on the keyboard, you should be able to see the full window. This workaround should not be necessary, and I have opened a feature request on the Specify Web Portal development page.

+1 on this issue. it can be a chore figuring out which image corresponds with which search result when there are multiple!

1 Like

I am not sure if this is related, but I find it incredibly difficult to view images at full resolution. Commonly, I need to see as much detail as possible on botanical specimens. It would be nice to have the option of one click to see a full-size image.

Right now, I click on the thumbnail which leads to a slightly larger thumbnail, then click “actual size” which opens the full-size image in the same terribly small window, then I right-click on that image to “open image in new tab” to finally get a practical view of the full-size image. That’s how I view images.