Lifemapper

lifemapper_32 Lifemapper

Lifemappper is a biodiversity geospatial data modeling, visualization and analysis platform consisting of multiple web services for systematics, biogeographical and macroecological research. Lifemapper has been integrated into Specify to allow users to view their own specify distribution data as well as compare their data to a GBIF/Lifemapper cache.

Click on the lifemapper button on the Task Bar to launch Lifemapper.

lifemapper

Lifemapper Tool

Species Name searches the GBIF/Lifemapper cache and returns Species Names in Species Name box located below the Species Name text box.

Enter at least the first three letters of a Species name in the Species Name text box and press the Return key or click the Search button. Matching Species Names in GBIF/Lifemapper will be displayed in the Species Name box. The number in parentheses next to the species name indicates the number of occurrence points, or collection objects, in the Lifemapper/GBIF cache.

Choose a name from the box. Lifemapper will add red markers on the maps representing the GBIG/Lifemapper occurrence points, or Locality Descriptions, for the species. The World Overview map offers an overview of all the occurrence points in the world. The Interactive map zooms into a location that includes a high concentration of occurrence points. It is possible to move the zoom location of the interactive map by click and dragging within the map.

Search My Data adds species occurrences in your Specify database to the Interactive map as green markers by clicking the Show My Data button.

Type a new species name into the Search My Data textbox to replace the Specify species occurrences on the Interactive map.

Using the Interactive Map

Turn the wheel on your mouse up to Zoom In.

Turn the wheel on your mouse down to Zoom Out.

Click and drag your mouse within the map to move the map North, South, East or West.

Launching Lifemapper from within the Taxon Tree

Lifemapper can also be launched from within the Taxon Tree.

Right-click on a Species node in the Taxon Tree to bring up a Context Menu and choose Lifemapper from the menu.

Lifemapper will open with the specimens from that species in your current collection placed on the map with a green marker.