Mapping Determiner in Workbench

Hi. In the Workbench I mapped the Determiner data as shown in the photo:

There was no other option in the list of fields, but this was the wrong mapping because the data was imported into the Determiner field of the determination table, not into the determiner table.

I moved the data to the determiner table following the instructions in this post:
Migrate Determiners to the 'Determiner' table. So this batch is ok.

But I have no clue how to fix this for the next imports.

Shouldn’t the field to map the Determiner data in the Workbench be called Determiners not Determiner? There’s no Determiners field in my list, also not in the hidden fields.

Hi @sorosoro,

It looks like you need to configure the schema config to hide the ‘Determiner’ (determiner) field in the “Determination” table and unhide the “Determiners” (determiners) relatonship.

Hi, and thanks for looking into this.

Both, 'determiner` and ‘determiners’ were unhidden in the schema config for the Dertermination table. Now, I hid ‘determiner’ and left ‘determiners’ unhidden but the problem persists. Actually, seems more complicated.

When the Collection Object is the base table, the mapping fields from the Determination table look like this:

The Determiner table is not visible, as expected because it is hidden, but there’s no Determiners table, which is unhidden in the schema config.
Revealing the hidden fields looks like this:

No Determiners table in sight.

However, if Determination is the base table for the import (say I am adding a determination to an existing collection object), then Determiners is visible:

det_determiner_mapping_3

But note that in the “suggested mappings” section it says again Determiner.

For some reason Determiners is not showing when the Collection Object table is the base table for the import.

Hi @sorosoro,

Uploading ‘Determiners’ directly when the base table is ‘Collection Object’ is not currently supported. At this time, Workbench doesn’t support nested many-to-many relationships. For example, Collection Object to Determination is a many-to-many, and Determination to Determination Citation is also a many-to-many.

To upload determiners, you can either upload them separately in a new WorkBench data set (using the ‘Determiner’ base table) and link them to existing determinations using a unique identifier, or you could upload new determination records (using the ‘Determination’ base table) with their determiners and associate them with existing collection objects.

It looks like this came up in a discussion between us last June! Unfortunately this has not been resolved in the interim, though I will add another mention on the issue.

Thank you!

Ah yes, we did talk about that. Also I think recently you mentioned the issue of the many-to-many relationships in the workbench. Sorry, my memory is awful.
Thanks!
Soraya

Hi Soraya,

To upload determiners, you can either upload them separately in a new WorkBench data set (using the ‘Determiner’ base table) and link them to existing determinations using a unique identifier, or you could upload new determination records (using the ‘Determination’ base table) with their determiners and associate them with existing collection objects.

Could you please elaborate on that ? I’ve read documentation on WB7 but it still struggle a bit to fully control how to link newly uploaded dataset with existing objects in the base. In this case you suggest to :

• either link new determiners to existing determinations using a unique identifier
  • or upload new determinations with their determiners and associate them with existing collection objects

How do you practically do it ? Do you use an open text field in both tables with matching behavior “Never ignore” and others to “Always ignore”. For the second option can you simply reuse the CatalogNumber parameter to associate determinations and collections objects ?

Thanks for the clarification,
Philippe V.

Hi Philippe,

The reply you quote is actually from Grant, but I can tell you what I do.

First I import all the information for the specimens except the determinations into the collectionobject table. Once the collectionobjects have bee created, I import the determinations using the determinations table as the base. The headers of the excel file to import the determinations look like these:

Cat No. CO Phylum D Class D Order D Superfamily Family 1 Subfamily 1 Genus 1 Subgenus1 Species 1 Subspecies 1 Species 1 author Subspecies 1 Author Taxon name 1 qualifier Det. 1 Notes Determiner 1 Lastname Determiner 1 Name Det. Date 1 Type 1
HYM-0150841 Arthropoda Insecta Hymenoptera Chalcidoidea Pteromalidae Conomorium

The catalog number is used to attach the determination to the right collection object.

It’s a bit of a pain having to do 2 steps to import a dataset but I want to have the determiners in the determiners table and not in the determiner field of the collectingevent table.

Hope it’s clear.
Cheers,
Soraya

1 Like