Usage Scenarios/Work Flow

Usage Scenarios/Work Flow

The Workbench is designed to facilitate the entry of various kinds of data into the Workbench using numerous tools and workflows.

Data Type

Action

I have data in an Excel spreadsheet. The "Import Data" action will import the data into a Data Set and map the existing Columns into the Specify Fields.
I have data in a database. Export the data as a CSV file and use the "Import Data" action to import the data into a Data Set and map the existing Columns into Specify Fields.
I have legacy data on scanned cards. The "Import Images" action will create a Data Set with each card image linked to a single record.
I have legacy data on cards. The "New Data Set" action will create an empty Data Set for entering data from the cards.
I have locality information on field notes. The "New Data Set" action will create an empty Data Set for entering data from the field notes.
I need to create labels from my field notes. Use the "New Data Set" action to create an empty Data Set to enter the field notebook information, then create the labels by dragging and dropping the Data Set onto the Basic Label.
I will be visiting a collaborating Institution and want to take my data with me. Save the entire WorkBench Component and accompanying Data Sets onto a USB key.
I will be visiting a collaborating Institution and want to take my data with me but they use a Mac and I use PC. No problem! The WorkBench works the same on systems using Windows, Mac OS X as well as Linux. Simply save the entire WorkBench Component and accompanying Data Sets onto a USB key and run the entire WorkBench on your associate's Macintosh.
I will be visiting a collaborating Institution and want to be able to merge our data but they only use Excel. The "Export Data Set" action will export your data into an Excel spreadsheet. If you make changes to the data (not the Columns) while it is in the spreadsheet use "Import Data" to bring it back into the Workbench.
I have data in Specify 5 that I would like to switch to Specify 6. The WorkBench is a component of Specify 6 and cannot be used for converting data from Specify 5 to Specify 6.
I want to verify my data that exists in a non-Specify database.

Export the data as a CSV file from your database and then use the "Import Data" action to import the data into a WorkBench Data Set by mapping the existing columns into Specify Fields. Then you can use the reporting features to verify your data.

I would like to link collection images to my existing Data Set. The WorkBench allows each record to link to one image. Use "Import Data" to import the data into a Data Set, then link the images to the records.
The latitude and longitude references in my data exist in different formats and I would like make them all the same. The WorkBench includes a Lat/Long Converter. Open the Data Set and click on the Converter button in the Grid View.