Video about installing version 7

Hello everyone!!!

My work team is requesting the installation of Specify 7 on a cloud server.
We have a virtual machine running Ubuntu Server.
We are trying to install Specify 7, but there is no extensive documentation.
This has caused a lot of difficulty in proceeding with the project to include Specify in our community.
I kindly ask this community for a video explaining how to install Specify 7, step by step.

Members have access to a repository with instructions on deployment and installation. If you are a member, you can contact support@specifysoftware.org with your GitHub username!

If you are not a member, we have instructions available on GitHub wiki for deploying Docker instances for development. If you would like to use these in production, you will need to modify these instructions to suit your needs.

We have all of our Specify 7 user documentation available here.

Our technical documentation for IT users is available on GitHub.

I hope this can help move you in the right direction!

The non-Docker installation instructions are available here -

Docker is the recommended way to deploy.

Thanks for listening.

In fact, I don’t have the concept of installing software through docker in my study history.
To perform the installation, I need the information chewed.

Our community doesn’t have the money to keep the computers running, let alone pay $1,000 a year on a project that may not meet our needs.

To know if Specify meets our demands, we need to test Specify 7 on our server, then train our community in the use of this tool.
There is absolutely no material from the Specify studies in our Portuguese language.
The more popular the tool, the greater the amount of study content and membership.

I’d be grateful if any kind soul could provide a video explaining how to install Specify 7 on Ubuntu Server.

1 Like

We have generic installation instructions here - GitHub - specify/specify7: Specify 7

We also have a development docker composition - Docker Workflow for Development ¡ specify/specify7 Wiki ¡ GitHub. It is not suitable for production (the production version is members-only), but you could modify it to make it suitable for production.

There is also a deprecated production-ready Docker composition of Specify 7 - GitHub - specify/specify7-docker: Dockerized version of Specify 7.5.0 and Web Portal 2.0. You could update it for most recent version of Specify, or use that as a step-by-step guide on how to get Specify 7 running

I followed the generic installation but I wonder why the “make” command produces an error, do I need to install npm packages and build the webpack for frontend. I can’t find any instruction on specify github documentation with regards this technical issue.

Thanks

Exactly!

When trying to perform the same tutorial, my work team encountered the same error.

I believe you are using an outdated version of Node.js. Please update to Node.js 18

Thanks to this forum my development server of specify7 is now hosted locally. Below are the steps I made.

After seeing the reply of maybe having an outdated version of node js, so I immediately check the repo guide.

When I checked, says my current node version is 10. I follow the guide on this link to upgrade my node version.

update node js version

after updating, I follow the steps mentioned in the specify7 github and everything goes well.

Here are my sample images.

I’m still looking forward for production level but for now just enjoying the development mode.

Thanks

I try setting up using Multipass of UBUNTU VM, demonstrated under windows 10. The specify6 works well in windows were it is connected to VM (running on ubuntu OS 20.04 with mariadb server ). Moreover, the VM is everything compiled in fact when I access the VM physical IP address in to windows using CHROME this seems everything is return 200 except that the STATIC files is not able to LOCATE and that’s the reason I got blank web page.

I belive this is a bug with the development server. Since the development server is rarely used outside of our dev team, fixing this bug was not high priority.

A good workaround for this bug is to make any change to any .ts file in the Specify 7 source code, save changes and then revert the change. That will trigger a front-end rebuild, which will generate the static files (keep an eye out for the logs in the webpack container)

After few hours of troubleshooting it is exactly same compiled results in the logs (webpack) so I decided to go further on SETTINGS, I found out that in debug.py as mention in the docs it is DEBUG = True, while mine was Debug = True. Thanks again, everything is ok for now.

Hello everyone!

I couldn’t install Specify 7.

Now this error message is appearing.

Could anyone help us understand what is wrong?

Hi @Rodrigo,

Your MySQL user does not have the necessary permissions, so you will need to grant them to that user.

I used these commands…but it didn’t work

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, LOCK TABLES ON DatabaseName.* TO ‘MasterUsername’@‘ClientIpAddressRange’ IDENTIFIED BY “MasterUserPassword”;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON . TO ‘root’@‘YourWorkstationIPAddress’ IDENTIFIED BY “RootPassword” WITH GRANT OPTION;

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Replace “ClientIpAddressRange” with “localhost” and rerun the commands (like the error message says).

This is a generic error that is not specific to Specify. We do not have the bandwidth to resolve common issues for non-members.

Thanks a lot!!! :grin:

COOL :slight_smile: