Functioning of the synonymies

Hi from Barcelona, we are new users of Sp7 and slowly we are understanding how Specify functions work.

We want to understand how the synonymize works. Our assistant curator of the invertebrate collection has brought me the following case, and we would like to know how the other collections deal with it.

These are the problems that we have:

1.-If a taxon node has been synonymized it is not possible to add a new child taxon (fig. 1)

2-.Conversely, it is not possible to synonymize a parent taxon node (fig. 2, 3)

For example, it is not possible to synonymize a species if subspecies or taxa of infraspecific category have been added (child). Conversely, it is not possible to add subspecies or taxa of infraspecific category if the species (parent) has been synonymized.

For example, in our malacological collection, historic samples have been determined as Helix montserratensis and Helix montserratensis var. delicatula, both synonims of Xerocrassa montserratensis (preferred taxon):

https://www.molluscabase.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=1050702

The case provided is quite common in our invertebrate historic collections, specially concerning to generic and specific names, that need to be synonymized.

As you can see this is a very common case in our museum with historical documentation. I am pretty sure it is something common in the other Museums and we would like to know how the rest of the Specify members solve it.

Thanks for you help!

1 Like

Hi @jagullov,

A preference was introduced that allows users to add children to synonymized parents as well as synonymizing nodes with children in Specify 7.8.4.

Instructions to add this preference are available here to members!

Let me know if you would like us to enable this on your database for you :smile:

Hi @Specify ,

Thanks for your quick response. :+1:

We will follow your instructions.