Show Family in the determination form

Hi, some users have told me that it would be useful to show the Family in the determination form. Is there a way to do this, regardless of the rank of the current determination? Showing the parent taxon would work only when the current determination is the direct child of the Family.

Hi @sorosoro,

You can add the Family rank to the full name by editing the tree definition and setting “Is in Full Name” to Yes for rank Family. I believe that this will achieve the results you are looking for!

Thanks @markp,
That would be an option but we don’t want the full taxon name to always include the Family.

I was thinking more on populating a text field in the determination table with the value of a field in the taxon table (for example, once I had name=“taxon.isAccepted” in a determination form), but the family is not a field in the taxon table. I was hoping there would be a way to use the taxontreedefitem of rank fields in the taxon table to do that.

Hi @sorosoro,

Currently, there is no way to display a specific rank’s data on the form. As you mentioned, you can show the parent of the current taxon, but you can also show that taxon’s parent, and so on. See the example below on the Determination form:

<row>
  <cell type="label" label="Parent of Taxon"/>
  <cell type="field" id="parent" name="taxon.parent" uitype="text"/>
  <cell type="label" label="Parent of Parent Taxon"/>
  <cell type="field" id="parentOfParent" name="taxon.parent.parent" uitype="text"/>
  <cell type="label" label="Parent of Parent of Parent Taxon"/>
  <cell type="field" id="parentOfParent" name="taxon.parent.parent.parent" uitype="text"/>
</row>

Would a solution like this work in your case?

Hi Grant,
I had no idea that’s possible. It may work for us, I will try it out. Thanks!
Soraya